[ltt-dev] Timestamping for ARM

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 22 12:20:46 EDT 2008

Yeah, generic timestamping in LTTng is just a simple event counter and
does not reflect the time elapsed between events.

Sure, you can use a different time source if your specific ARM board
supports it. It's just a matter of looking at what a patch like
lttng-timestamp-powerpc.patch does for powerpc and do the same for ARM.
You'll probably want to refer to your arch-specific documentation to
find out if you have an high-precision fast time source available which
is synchronised across CPUs.

If you do it correctly (with the right ifdefs and HAVE_* dependency), I
could pull this patch into LTTng so arm boards which have such time
source could have such timing information.

That said, it might be good to extend arch/arm/include/asm/timex.h to
make get_cycles() support your timestamp on your specific board...

Mathieu