[ltt-dev] TODO list before releasing LTTng-buffering to LKML]

Zhaolei zhaolei at cn.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 16 23:56:13 EDT 2008

>> - switch ltt-control.ko (currently over netlink) to debugfs
>> - switch marker list (and marker activation (currently in /proc/ltt) to debugfs
>>   Marker directory. One file per marker.
>> - Create a ltt-ascii.ko kernel module which merge-sorts the buffers and exports
>>   them to userspace through a debugfs file.
>>

> Hi, Mathieu,
>
> We are interested with the above TODOs, and we are planning to implement them.

Hi Mathieu,

I finished a simple ltt-control.ko based on debugfs.

With this module, we can control ltt by following command now:
Start trace1 channel:
echo "0 trace1" > /sys/kernel/debug/ltt_control/control
Stop trace1 channel:
echo "1 trace1" > /sys/kernel/debug/ltt_control/control
Create trace1 channel:
echo "2 trace1 relay 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" > /sys/kernel/debug/ltt_control/control
Destroy trace1 channel:
echo "3 trace1" > /sys/kernel/debug/ltt_control/control

I tested it on i386 linux 2.6.27 with lttng.

User-mode lttctl also needs some modification to support this kind of control,
but at first, I'd like to hear some advice on this module.

Thanks!
Zhaolei