[ltt-dev] LTTng specialized probes

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 6 11:26:18 EDT 2008

The idea is that someone who want to add a new instrumentation site in
the Linux kernel does not have to write a specialized probe up front.
The format string parser will take care of writing the typed data into
the buffers (default behavior), but can still overridden by a
specialized function which will expect the format string arguments and
serialize those into the buffers.

About what we discussed in Portland and where Steven is currently going:
it does not provide any kind of binary standard to export the data
between different platforms or even from kernel 64-bits kernel to
32-bits userland. Steven also cleary states that he doesn't care about
exporting this data to userspace in binary format. He wants a
supplementary layer to do this formatting, which I don't think will
produce the performance results we are looking for. Plus, I think
feeding the data through the kernel which recorded the information to
decode it is the wrong approach, especially when the system which
recorded such information is a small embedded device, where getting the
data _out_ is already non-trivial. Feeding it back in seems a bit crazy.

Mathieu