[ltt-dev] LTTng 0.10-pre56 for 2.6.26-rc8

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 26 09:23:27 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I just released LTTng 0.10-pre56 for the 2.6.26-rc8 kernel. I try to
keep the changes in this "stable" version to the minimum level. The
following changes about to come to the development tree will include :

* Basic user-space tracing
* Fix resulting of formal verification of ltt-tracer.c A rare buffer
  corruption scenario (which never happens with large buffers) has been
  identified. If some of you are interested to review the Promela models
  I created, I could post them here. I used the "spin" verification
  tool, following http://lwn.net/Articles/243851/ (very interesting,
  with real-life examples of conversion from C code to Promela. Article
  from Paul McKenney)
* New "Kernel Tracepoint" infrastructure. Basically, it's the linux
  kernel markers without the format strings. The new data flow will
  become : tracepoint -> tracepoint probe -> marker -> LTTng

This is a pre-2.6.26 release. Please test it before the stable kernel
goes out so I can prepare a solid 2.6.26 stable version.

As always, the patchset is available at http://ltt.polymtl.ca. Follow
the "Compatibility list" on the website to see which versions of LTTng,
LTTV and ltt-control packages you need. The "QUICKSTART GUIDE" will
guide you through the installation process.

Happy testing! :)