[ltt-dev] General Questions

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 31 08:54:34 EDT 2008

* Kevin Harms (harms at mcs.anl.gov) wrote:

>   I've made progress with processing the trace output, but I'm not sure I'm seeing what I expect.
>
>   I ran a trace of my test program which produced the following output:
>
> 0.014005
> 0.013193
> 0.913196
> 0.012794
> 0.013194
> 0.013196
> 0.013195
> 0.012796
> 0.026788

Ok. Now let's concentrate on the interesting time window : the one
containing the events likely to cause the long fsync(). Given that we
know fsync() takes the buffers (filled by write, writev, ...) system
calls and flushes them to disk, the root cause of the problem should be
those write* system calls between the previous (correct) fsync() and the
fsync() which takes 0.9 s.

You can then find out what happened :

- First get the timestamp associated to your 0.9 s fsync(). It will be
  used as an anchor in the trace.
- In graphical mode, try to paste this time (format 00.000000) on the
  "Current time" label at the bottom right of the screen. It should seek
  the trace to this time.
- See what happens in the time interval before, by locating the previous
  fsync() too with a similar method. You can change the start and end
  time by pasting the timestamp values in a similar way.
- It may help to refresh (refresh button) the GUI once your time window
  has shrinked : it removes the inactive threads from the control flow
  view, thus making it easier to navigate.
- I recommend to launch another detailed event list view and to use the
  graphical filter associated to it (small button at the left of the
  view) and select write, writev and other writev-like events and/or
  on syscall_entry. This should help you navigate more easily through
  the important events.
- Then, see which thread/process causes this problem, and fix userspace
  code ;) Given we currently don't have the userspace stack dump (which
  we once had before), it can be a little bit harder to find which
  userspace code is responsible for those write system calls, but
  hopefully there is not too much code there.

Mathieu