[ltt-dev] sub roadmap for text output

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 10 07:22:35 EST 2008

* Lai Jiangshan (laijs at cn.fujitsu.com) wrote:

> 1) Marker ID management
>    Marker ID identify every type of event,

Beware that I am currently doing a big refactoring of LTTng which will
change the following :

- Channels will be declared in markers, e.g. :

  trace_mark(channel_name, event_name, "format", ...);

Those channels are dynamically allocated when the trace is "setup".

Event IDs are dynamically assigned by the marker/channel infrastructure.
Those are unique per-channel.

I am currently in the testing phase. Tell me if you are interested to do
an early review of a prerelease of LTTng (the patchset does not
currently bissect in the last changes and may still contain a few bugs).

>    a) ASCII text output needs get name&fmt from eID faster.

We'll probably have to add the following to a new marker-to-string.c :

const struct marker_to_string *
markers_get_marker_from_id(u16 channel_id, u16 event_id);

static struct kref trace_refcount;

That means we have to keep around an hash table of

struct marker_to_string {
  u16 channel_id;
  u16 event_id;
  const char *channel;
  const char *name;
  struct kref refcount;
};

around.

>    b) Marker ID and its data must be permanent.

It does not need to be exactly "permanent". These entries must stay live
until those two conditions occurs :
- The given marker is not referencing the entry anymore.
- All traces are inactive (destroyed)

The new ltt/ltt-channel.c file I am currently working on uses a similar
semantic to deal with channel persistency, so derivating from this will
be easier.

> 2) ltt-relay events traveling
>    current ltt-relay does not support iterator. it seems that ltt-relay is too
>    complex to do this things. Is any plan to revise ltt-relay?

ltt-relay task is to write data into buffers. I would create a different
module which task is to do just like lttd does (get subbuf, read, put
subbuf), but within the kernel. We might have to extend the API beyond
the current ioctl/poll-based interface to allow in-kernel modules to do
this.

Side-note : I think I would need to hook into open()/close() to keep
refcounts on the channel reads rather that to use the get subbuf/put
subbuf for refcounting. The currently implementation will behave a bit
weirdly if multiple processes try to hook on the same trace channels.
The resulting trace outputs will only each have part of the subbuffers.

> 3) event reader
>    get significative binary data from event. and convert them to a va_list
>    or other type. binary in event is raw data, we must know its meaning for
>    formating.

The event reader is fairly easy to do. You fork from
ltt/ltt-serialize.c, change it so it does binary to ascii conversion.
It takes the format string as input. That's about it.

> 4) event text formator
>    format data to text.

I am not sure how it differs from 3 ?

> 5) create files for text output and control

That will go on top of Zhaolei debugfs control implementation.

> In all, I think text output is urgency for lttng, but
> "ltt-relay events traveling" is the bottleneck.

Please tell me if you need more information or to discuss some elements
more.

Best regards,

Mathieu