[lttng-dev] LTTng UST Benchmarks

Aditya Kurdunkar adityakurdunkar2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 11:25:04 EDT 2024

Hello everyone, I was working on a use case where I am working on enabling
LTTng on an embedded ARM device running the OpenBMC linux distribution. I
have enabled the lttng yocto recipe and I am able to trace my code. The one
thing I am concerned about is the performance overhead. Although the
documentation mentions that LTTng has the lowest overhead amongst all the
available solutions, I am concerned about the overhead of the LTTng UST in
comparison to other available tracers/profilers. I have used the
benchmarking setup from lttng-ust/tests/benchmark at master ·
lttng/lttng-ust (github.com)
<https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/tree/master/tests/benchmark> to
benchmark the overhead of the tracepoints (on the device). The benchmark,
please correct me if I am wrong, gives the overhead of a single tracepoint
in your code. Although this might be fine for now, I was just wondering if
there are any published benchmarks comparing LTTng with the available
tracing/profiling solutions. If not, how can I go about benchmarking the
overhead of the applications?

I have come across the lttng/lttng-ust-benchmarks (github.com)
<https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust-benchmarks> repository which has no
documentation on how to run it, apart from one commit message on how to run
the benchmark script.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
Aditya