[lttng-dev] BabelTrace 1.5.8 Error

Michael Jeanson mjeanson at efficios.com
Tue Oct 10 18:03:04 EDT 2023

On 2023-10-10 17:33, Smet, Jonathan A. [US-US] via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found this email in the README of
> https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/stable-1.5
> <https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/stable-1.5>
>
> I have a question regarding the usage of BabelTrace using version 1.5.8. I am
> running on Ubuntu 20.04 and have installed or dependencies to use BabelTrace
> with Python bindings:
>
>   * sudo apt-get install lttng-tools
>   * sudo apt-get install lttng-modules-dkms
>   * sudo apt-get install liblttng-ust-dev
>   * sudo apt-get install python3-babeltrace
>
> When trying to import BabelTrace in a Python script with “import babeltrace”,
> I receive the following error (more error output in the attached text file):
> “ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'babeltrace._babeltrace'” followed by
> “ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_babeltrace'”.
>
> My folder structure at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/babeltrace are as follows:
>
>   * _babeltrace.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
>   * Babeltrace.py
>   * __init__.py
>   * /__pycache__
>
> I’ve been trying to debug this issue for a couple of days, but am running into
> a wall. I’ve decided to email your team in case you have seen this issue
> before, or are able to spot a simple issue with my setup.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jon Smet

Hi Jon,

The Ubuntu python3-babeltrace package contains a binary module
(_babeltrace.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so) built for the system's python 3.8
interpreter, in the log file you attached you seem to be using python 3.7
(/usr/lib/python3.7/importlib/__init__.py).

You either need to use the system's python3 interpreter to use the packaged
python3-babeltrace or build your own version of python3-babeltrace against the
python 3.7 interpreter you are using.

Regards,

Michael