[lttng-dev] Profiling LTTng tracepoint latency on different arm platforms

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Jun 20 14:03:28 EDT 2023

On 6/20/23 10:20, Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev wrote:
> On 6/20/23 06:27, Mousa, Anas via lttng-dev wrote:
>> Hello,
>

>> Arethereanysuggestionstorootcausethehighlatencyandpotentiallyimproveiton*platform****1*?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>>
>> Anas.
>>

> I recommend using "perf" when tracing with the sample program in a loop
> to figure out the hot spots. With that information on the "fast" and
> "slow" system, we might be able to figure out what differs.
>
> Also, comparing the kernel configurations of the two systems can help.
> Also comparing the glibc versions of the two systems would be relevant.

Also make sure you benchmark the lttng "snapshot" mode [1] to make sure
you don't run into a situation where the disk/network I/O throughput
cannot cope with the generated event throughput, thus causing the ring
buffer to discard events. This would therefore "speed up" tracing from
the application perspective because discarding an event is faster than
writing it to a ring buffer.

[1] https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-taking-a-snapshot

https://www.efficios.com