[lttng-dev] Status of the RCU Red Black Tree

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Jul 12 15:36:28 EDT 2023

On 7/12/23 14:44, Uttormark, Mike via lttng-dev wrote:
> What became of the red-black tree effort?  I see it in the git repo, 10
> years old.  It never made it onto master.
>
> What would it take to get it onto master and into a release branch?

Hi Mike,

There are a few things that are in the way of merging it into a liburcu
release, namely:

* An end user with a clearly defined use-case to allow defining a solid
   API,

* Validation that those use-cases are not better covered by some
   variation of my RCU Judy Array prototype instead, ref.:

   https://github.com/urcu/userspace-rcu/tree/urcu/rcuja-simple-int

* More testing, both within the liburcu project and in terms of use of
   the API from an application perspective,

* Funding for all that work, allowing us to prioritize this effort with
   respect to our various other projects.

Thanks for your interest in the liburcu Red-Black Tree prototype! Please
don't hesitate to reach out to EfficiOS if HPE would like to explore
supporting this project.

https://www.efficios.com