[lttng-dev] Issues running ust 2.1.0 as non root user

Aaron Spear aspear at vmware.com
Fri Jan 11 11:40:03 EST 2013

Hi all,

I have LTTng 2.1.0 that I built/installed from source, and it all works fine when I run as root.  So as root I can take kernel traces and also ust traces.  However, when I attempt to run UST as a normal user it seems that there is some issue with the session daemon that I am not quite understanding.  It looks like the permissions are correct on the executables in /usr/local/bin and such.  Here is the error that I see with the verbose flag on (not sure if this helps...)

aspear at aspear-deb64 ~
$ lttng --verbose create mytest
DEBUG3: URI string: file:///home/aspear/lttng-traces/mytest-20130111-093135 [in uri_parse() at uri.c:253]
DEBUG3: URI file destination: /home/aspear/lttng-traces/mytest-20130111-093135 [in uri_parse() at uri.c:290]
DEBUG3: URI dtype: 3, proto: 0, host: , subdir: , ctrl: 0, data: 0 [in uri_parse() at uri.c:467]
DEBUG1: LSM cmd type : 8 [in send_session_msg() at lttng-ctl.c:259]
Session mytest created.
Traces will be written in /home/aspear/lttng-traces/mytest-20130111-093135
DEBUG1: Init config session in /home/aspear [in config_init() at conf.c:294]

aspear at aspear-deb64 ~
$ lttng --verbose enable-event -a -u
DEBUG1: Session name found: mytest [in get_session_name() at utils.c:51]
DEBUG1: LSM cmd type : 6 [in send_session_msg() at lttng-ctl.c:259]
Error: Events: Fatal error of the session daemon (channel channel0, session mytest)
DEBUG1: Clean exit [in clean_exit() at lttng.c:169]

Is there perhaps some other setup step required when you do the install from source that the install does for a normal user?

thanks,
Aaron Spear