[lttng-dev] Question about the performance of LTTng-UST

changz zheng.chang at emc.com
Thu Jul 26 00:54:27 EDT 2012

On 7/25/2012 21:29 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * changz (zheng.chang at emc.com) wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wrote a very simple test code like this:
>>
>>          for (i = 0; i < 0xffffff; i++) {
>>                  tracepoint(sample_component, message, "This is a
>> performance test:","main",i);
>>          }
>>
>> And then I started lttng and ran the test code:
>> time  ./test
>> real0m16.120s
> This is indeed very high (96 microsecond per event). There is something
> wrong with your system (what architecture, kernel version do you use ?
> Getting you dmesg log would be useful too, especially to find out which
> clock source your kernel uses. Also, are you in a virtualized
> environment ? If yes, which ?)
Mathieu,

My OS is a X86 linux kernel 2.6.38 running on Vmware workstation for
windows.
linux-gate.so was linked to my test code.
And here is a message found in dmesg output:
[2.228750] Switching to clocksource tsc

I found a benchmark data about vmware system call. It says the
virtualization can cause ten times delay than it runs on host directly.
So I guess that's the reason why my test code ran slowly.

Could you provide more info about the impact introduced by different
clock sources?

Thanks
Zheng