[lttng-dev] lttng-ust installs stuff in /tmp

Alexandre Montplaisir alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca
Fri Jan 6 09:59:50 EST 2012

On 12-01-06 09:44 AM, Sébastien Barthélémy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that the lttng-ust build system installs stuff in /tmp.
>
> git clone ~/ar/m/lttng-ust/
> cd lttng-ust/
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure
> mkdir ~/toto
> make DESTDIR=~/toto install
> ls ~/toto
> total 8.0K
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K 2012-01-06 15:39 tmp
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K 2012-01-06 15:39 usr
>
> I think it is unexpected.
>
> Best regards
> -- Sébastien Barthélémy

Hi,

This is indeed not very clean, but it is by design.

One of the test programs generates a .so which we then LD_PRELOAD, to
simulate what happens when someone links an application with UST and
traces it. Problem is, libtool doesn't seem to offer a way to create
shared libraries but not install them (noinst libraries will always be
static, aka ending in .a).

Another solution would have been to "install" those .so's in the source
directory itself. But then when running "sudo make install", that would
create extra files in the source directory owned by root. So in the end
those were diverted to /tmp, waiting to be cleaned up next reboot.

If anyone knows a better solution please let us know ;)

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Montplaisir
DORSAL lab,