[lttng-dev] LTTng 2.0 release roadmap

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Feb 6 16:46:42 EST 2012

Hi,

The main active contributors to LTTng 2.0 got together and had a
discussion today. We decided to put the Release Candidate 1 date at
February 20th, 2012, and we aim at a LTTng 2.0 final release on March
20th, 2012 (unless major problems arise).

The features we plan to complete before rc1 are:

babeltrace: complete libbabeltrace API
  Julien Desfossez <jdesfossez at efficios.com>
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>

babeltrace: add tracer environment information (env {}) for vpid,
            process name, domain name.
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>

lttng-modules: add kernel version to domain name as env {}.
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>

lttng-modules: instrument x86 32/64 important missing system calls (unknown
               syscalls)
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>
  Julien Desfossez <jdesfossez at efficios.com>

lttng-ust: add tracer environment information vpid, procname, domain
           name.
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>

lttng-tools: show "syscalls activated" state for list kernel session
             info.
  David Goulet <dgoulet at efficios.com>

lttng-tools/lttng-ust: loglevels: complete name discussion, cleanup.
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>

lttng-ust: create helper script (in Python) to generate TRACEPOINT_EVENT
           instrumentation header.
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>
  David Goulet <dgoulet at efficios.com>

lttng-tools: lttng view command
  David Goulet <dgoulet at efficios.com>

lttng-modules: state dump
  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>

lttng-ust: sdt.h integreation (enabled by configure)
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>
  Alexandre Montplaisir <alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca>

And also, we plan to release as "experimental" package synchronized with
the LTTng 2.0 release a LTTV version able to show LTTng 2.0 traces. This
will be a proof of concept to show LTTng 2.0 traces graphically. A
cleaner implementation will follow later this year.

LTTV: quick & dirty adaptation to libbabeltrace
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>

LTTV: events view
  Yannick Brosseau <yannick.brosseau at polymtl.ca>

LTTV: histogram